Shane Carwin is coming out of retirement, and will be competing for Rizin FF.
At a recent press conference, it was officially announced that Carwin will compete in the Rizin World Grand-Prix, which has already begun. Carwin will receive a first-round bye and proceed to the second round of the tournament. His opponent has yet to be determined, but Rizin is asking for fans to vote for what the pairings should be for the second tournament round. The only second round matchup that has been confirmed is Wanderlei Silva vs Mirko Cro Cop.
Carwin has already taken to Twitter to show his excitement over competing for the promotion.
Carwin had said that he would be competing for Rizin roster earlier this week, although interestingly, he claimed he had been matched up with Fedor Emelianenko. There has not yet been any announcement of Emelianenko's participation in the tournament, although the MMA legend did previously compete for Rizin in 2015.
The Rizin World Grand-Prix 2016: 2nd Round will take place on December 29 in Japan. The finals of the tournament will be held on New Year's Eve.
After amassing a 12-0 professional record, during which Carwin won the UFC Interim Heavyweight Championship, the 41-year-old lost a UFC Heavyweight unification title bout against Brock Lesnar. He then lost the following fight, his last one in UFC, against Junior Dos Santos in 2011 and had not fought afterwards.
Fightful.com's own Showdown Joe told us on this week's Wednesday Podcast that news regarding this situation would drop soon.
- From The Web