Unified WBC, WBO, Ring magazine, and lineal light welterweight champion Terence Crawford was found guilty on 2 misdemeanors from an incident that happened back in April.
Police in Crawford's hometown of Omaha, Nebraska said Crawford went to a body shop and demanded his 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo back. The owner then told Crawford the car wouldn't be returned until Crawford paid the $1,350 he owed for a paint job.
According to police, Crawford lowered the hydraulic lift with the Monte Carlo on it, tied a rope to the car and took it away with the help of three people. Police said Crawford caused $5,000 in damage to the lift. The 28-year-old was found guilty of damage to property and disorderly conduct on September 21. He was found not guilty of trespassing, however. Crawford is scheduled to be sentenced later in December.
“It’s not about what the charges are or what they get convicted of,” Omaha City Prosector Matt Kuhse told local NBC affiliate WOWT-TV. “It’s about what the evidence shows and the quality of the evidence, and obviously the court believed that the quality of the evidence was enough for guilty beyond a unreasonable doubt for two of the three charges, so we’re happy with the decision.”
Crawford is undefeated in his professional career. He last defeated Viktor Postol back in July to retain his WBO title and win Postol's other light welterweight titles. He had been fighting as a professional since 2008 and was linked to a possible fight with Manny Pacquiao, but Pacquiao ultimately chose Jessie Vargas to be his opponent for his return fight in November.