UFC 213 took place on Saturday night from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main event featured Robert Whittaker defeating Yoel Romero by unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 48-47) to become the interim UFC middleweight championship. In the co-main event, in heavyweight action, Alstair Overeem beat Fabricio Werdum by majority decision (28-28, 29-28, 29-28).
After the event had concluded, Whittaker, Romero, Overeem, UFC president Dana White and Anthony Pettis, who defeated Jim Miller by unanimous decision spoke at the UFC 213 post-fight press conference.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Pettis felt like he broke the same hand as he did in the Max Holloway fight. This time though he feels he would need surgery this time.
- Overeem said he would do whatever is necessary to land a title shot and is willing to fight anybody.
- Overeem says he'd like to fight at MSG for his next bout.
- White said Nunes was medically cleared by the head doctor of the UFC but she didn't feel right to fight.
- White said Nunes' was physically capable of fighting.
- White said he will not put Nunes in another main event and the no woman in the 135-pound division will be in another main event.
- White said the plan is for Nunes and Shevchenko to fight at UFC 215 on Sept. 9 in Edmonton.
- White said stripping Nunes of the title wasn't an option.
- White said the Georges St-Pierre- Michael Bisping ship has sailed.
- White said he thinks Shevchenko was paid $70,000.
- White feels it's time for Travis Browne to retire.
- Romero said he will look at the fight when he gets home and see how he fell late in the 5th. Feels it changed the round.
- Romero disappointed he wont be able to bring home the title to his son who he hasn't seen in 11 years.
- Romero said middleweight champion Michael Bisping ripped off the Cuban flag and threw it at him.
- When asked how bad his knee is, Whittaker said "it's sore".
- Whittaker would love to bring the Bisping fight to Australia.
- Whittaker isn't too sure when he will fight next. Will have to go to the doctors and get checked out
View the discussion thread.