Beibut Shumenov, one of several WBA cruiserweight champions, has been ordered to defend his title against his mandatory challenger.
The governing body ordered a purse bid scheduled for February 4 in Panama City if Shumenov, the WBA "Regular" cruiserweight champion, and mandatory challenger Arsen Goulamirian, who is also the interim champion, are unable to work out a fight deal.
Should the fight come to a purse bid, the minimum bid will be $200,000 and Shumenov is entitled to 55 percent of the winning purse, while Goulamirian will receive the remaining 45 percent.
The purse bid for the cruiser bout between champion Beibut Shumenov & the mandatory challenger, Arsen Goulamirian, has been ordered by the WBA Championships Committee and will take place next Monday, Feb-4, at the offices of the #WBAboxing in Panama City.https://t.co/lA6mNsZUHD pic.twitter.com/Nff3gom7PN— WBA Boxing (@WBABoxing) January 19, 2019
Shumenov previously held the WBA title before ultimately retiring in 2017 due to an eye injury. Shumenov returned last year, defeating Hizni Altunkaya after nine rounds to recapture the WBA title.
Goulamirian earned the right to face Shumenov after beating Ryad Merhy this past March to win the interim title. Goulamirian retained his interim belt with a ninth-round TKO win over Mark Flanagan back in October.
But Shumenov and Goulamirian aren't the only cruiserweight champions the WBA has. Oleksandr Usyk is the current WBA "Super" champion and Denis Lebedev, the previous "Super" champion, is now called the "Champion in Recess" but is entitled to a shot at Usyk's title. An announcement regarding Usyk's next fight is expected to come soon.