WBA Orders Title Fights For Heavyweight And Super Bantamweight Championships

The WBA has ordered a couple of title bouts with one of them already having a purse bid date.

Firstly, the organization announced that unified super bantamweight champion Daniel Roman must negotiate a deal to get a fight against mandatory challenger Murodjon Akhmadaliev. 

Billy Quarantillo vs. Herbert Burns Set For UFC Event In June, More News | Fight Announcement Roundup

Roman unified the WBA and IBF title against TJ Doheny on April 26 as part of the undercard for the Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs. Juan Francisco Estrada fight that was streamed on DAZN. The news of the WBA ordering Roman vs. Akhmadaliev is expected as the organization said before the fight that the Roman vs. Doheny winner will have to face Akhmadaliev next. Roman and Akhmadaliev have until June 6 to negotiate a deal or else a purse bid will be ordered.

The other fight that was also ordered was for the "Regular" heavyweight title with a purse bid already set. Titleholder Manuel Charr was ordered to face interim champion Trevor Bryan and the purse bid is scheduled to take place on May 17 at the organization's headquarters in Panama City, Panama. As it stands, should the fight go to a purse bid, the minimum offer is $1 million. Charr is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid while Bryan would get the remaining 25 percent.

The two boxers offered themselves as potential opponents for WBA "Super" champion Anthony Joshua on June 1 after it was revealed that Jarrell Miller failed multiple drug tests back in March. In the end, it was former WBO heavyweight title challenger Andy Ruiz Jr. who got the green light to fight Joshua for the unified WBA "Super," WBO and IBF titles at Madison Square Garden. The title fight will headline a Matchroom Boxing card on DAZN.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web