WBA Postpones Purse Bid For Manuel Charr vs. Trevor Bryan

The WBA has decided to postpone a purse bid scheduled for today for the organization’s secondary world heavyweight title.

The purse bid for the WBA “Regular” title bout between titleholder Manuel Charr and interim champion Trevor Bryan has now been postponed to May 28. The conditions are still the same with the minimum bid being $1 million with Charr getting 75 percent of the winning bid and Bryan getting the remaining 25 percent.

Rory MacDonald vs Curtis Millender In PFL, UFC Fights Added, More News | Fight Announcement Roundup

The original purse bid was called after it was revealed that Anthony Joshua, who holds the WBA “Super” version of the heavyweight title, would be fighting Andy Ruiz Jr. on June 1. Joshua was supposed to face Jarrell Miller on June 1 at Madison Square Garden, but after Miller failed multiple drug tests conducted in March, Joshua had to go and find another opponent. Charr claimed that there were some early negotiations, but it eventually fell through. Bryan’s promoter Don King had publicly lobbied for his fighter to face Joshua.

Charr won the “Regular” title in November 2017 when he defeated Alexander Ustinov in Germany. Charr was supposed to defend his title against mandatory challenger Fres Oquendo late last year, but Charr failed a drug test and was suspended by the WBA. Charr has since then served his suspension and is still able to keep his title.

Bryan has held the interim title since last August when stopped BJ Flores in the fourth round, but has yet to fight since his title win. The 29-year-old Bryan has won all 20 of his pro bouts.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web