Here's your fight-size boxing update for July 6, 2020:
- During the WBA Convention, the WBA has officially stripped Alexander Besputin of the “Regular” welterweight title for a failed drug test months ago. Yordenis Ugas will fight Abel Ramos for the now-vacant belt and winner will face Radzhab Butaev, who lost to Besputin last November.
- In other WBA news, the WBA has approved Brandon Figueroa vs. Damien Vazquez for the “Regular” super bantamweight title. WBA Gold titleholder Ronny Rios wanted a fight against Figueroa but will now fight for an interim belt instead.
- The WBO has ordered Ryan Garcia and Emmanuel Tagoe to fight in a lightweight title eliminator. Both parties have until July 26 to reach an agreement. Otherwise, a purse bid will be conducted with the minimum bid being $150,000. Vasiliy Lomachenko is the current WBO lightweight champion.
- Australian manager Tony Tolj revealed on social media that he will now be co-managing former world title challenger Francisco Fonseca.
I am delighted to be co-managing Francisco Fonseca alongside a boxing great in Rosendo Alvarez. A top-class fighter, who has shown he is a top-level fighter, very happy to be asked to come on board to help the team get the right opportunities to progress Fonseca's career. pic.twitter.com/Zaf4FNOCYJ— Tony Tolj -------- (@TonyTolj) July 6, 2020
- The WBC revealed its Closed Doors Boxing Protocol which can be seen at this link.
- Dragon Fire Boxing’s Jeanine Brown received the WBC Humanity Award due to her services working as a COVID-19 nurse during the pandemic.
- Subscribe to Fightful Select, for podcasts, exclusive and early news, and much more.
- Also, make sure to subscribe to the Fightful YouTube channel for Fightful's podcasts and more.