WBO President Says It Won't Sanction Oscar Valdez vs Erick Ituarte For Featherweight Title

The WBO has put its foot down regarding a potential featherweight title fight between Oscar Valdez and Erick Ituarte.

Although the fight has not been announced, it had been reported that Top Rank plans to have the two boxers fight for the WBO 126-pound title in Reno, Nevada in June. WBO President Francisco Valcarcel took to Twitter to say that the organization will not sanction that fight as a world title bout. 

Video: Best Finishes From UFC Vegas 24 Fighters

In an earlier tweet in Spanish, Valcarcel said that the reason why it will not be a title fight is due to the fact that Itaurte is not ranked in the WBO's top 15, making him ineligible to fight for the belt. Valcarcel said the fight would move forward as a 10-round non-title bout.

A similar case happened months ago when Valcarcel said the WBO would not sanction a fight between super featherweight champion Masayuki Ito and Jamel Herring due to the fact that Herring was not ranked in the top 15. An official announcement was held off until after Herring was placed in the top 15 and now the two boxers will face off for the 130-pound title on May 25 in Kissimmee, Florida.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web