Tyron Zeuge's First Super Middleweight Title Defense Made Official

New WBA super middleweight champion Tyron Zeuge has his first title defense made official.

Zeuge will defend his title against former regional champion and world title challenger Isaac Ekpo on March 25 in Potsdam, Germany.

The champion spoke to ESPN after the fight was made official by Zeuge’s promoter Team Sauerland and Don King, Ekpo’s promoter and said he had been preparing for the bout for several weeks. Zeuge is currently training with former light heavyweight world champion Juergen Braehmer.

"I've been in the gym preparing for this fight since December," Zeuge said. "I'm already in great shape, and I will be ready for my first title defense. On March 25, I will defuse the 'Grenade.' The only thing exploding will be my fists on Ekpo's chin."

King, always a promoter with something to say, said he knows that Ekpo will become world champion no matter what Zeuge has up in his sleeve.

"Zeuge can prepare a plan A, B and C, but he is not going to figure out the combination to defuse my KO grenade,” King said. “After the dust has settled, there will be a new world champion, and his name is Isaac Ekpo."

Zeuge won the world title last November after knocking out former champion Giovanni De Carolis. It was the second fight between the two, with Zeuge and De Carolis fighting to a majority draw last July.

Ekpo is currently on a nine-fight win streak, dating back all the way to 2013. Ekpo last fought in October, knocking out Idrissa Kabore in the seventh round.

Around The Web