Brian Cage Says He Was Supposed To Be On The 2019 Edition Of AEW Double Or Nothing

After months of waiting, Brian Cage got his AEW debut at this year’s Double Or Nothing, but this wasn’t the first time AEW tried to book him for that show.

Appearing on the AEW Unrestricted podcast, Cage revealed that he actually was originally supposed to make his AEW debut at the 2019 edition of Double Or Nothing. Cage was originally supposed to be on the Casino Battle Royale, but according to him, Cage got pulled once IMPACT Wrestling, where Cage was contracted to at the time, caught wind of that.

Ricky Starks Sidelined With Neck Injury

“I was actually supposed to be on Double Or Nothing last year in the Battle Royale also as a surprise. It was about 90 minutes until showtime, I remember a lot of people in the Battle Royale didn’t know and I was so stoked because almost nothing is kept a secret in wrestling anymore. Nobody knew I was supposed to be in that. IMPACT caught whiff of that and they were more mad because I was their world champion at the time and that I wasn’t winning. They were mad that I was on their pre-show on a Battle Royale and I wasn’t even winning as their champion and I got where they were coming from,” Cage said.

Page ended up winning the Casino Battle Royale while Cage stayed with IMPACT for several more months. CAge did eventually make his debut at Double Or Nothing this past May, winning the Casino Ladder Match and securing a shot at Jon Moxley’s AEW World Championship.

Moxley and Cage were originally supposed to have their title match on July 8 on the second night of Fyter Fest, but that was moved to Fight For The Fallen, taking place on July 15. 

You can check out the full interview at this link.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web