Cody Rhodes Talks A Return To War Games

A famed match was planned to return in 2013, but ultimately fell through.

Cody Rhodes recently talked to Ring Rust Radio and divulged that War Games, a steel cage match with teams and two rings originally in NWA and then in the WCW promotion, was supposed to make a comeback years ago.

Randy Orton Calls Soulja Boy a Prick One Hit Wonder, Says Bad Bunny Would Beat The F--- Out Of Him

In 2013, Rhodes was in a storyline with brother Goldust and father Dusty Rhodes. The Rhodes were in a program that led into the Battleground pay per view where Cody and Golddust accompanied by Dusty faced The Shield, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns with Dean Ambrose at ringside.

"There are so many things about that match and people might know this, but Battleground was originally designed to be War Games. War Games was going to come back and somebody—and I don't actually know who so no I'm not trying to be vague—but somebody said 'No it takes up too much ticket space so we aren't going to do the War Games.' So then it became a tag match. Before it was ever a tag match, it was to be me returning in this cool drifter-like Midnight Rider mask that I had commissioned and paid for and was all excited about. So many things didn't happen for it to just be a family match, but I'm glad people loved it. When I look at it now, I wonder ‘what if’ about all the other things, especially with the War Games portion," Cody Rhodes said.

Rhodes requested his release from WWE earlier this year. The company granted his request to leave May 22. His first match after his release from the company was a victory against Zack Sabre Jr. August 19 at EVOLVE 66. Most recently, Rhodes beat Olympic Champion and former WWE superstar Kurt Angle Saturday at Northeast Wrestling’s Wrestling Under The Stars event.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web