Among the many top indie wrestling stars appearing at the upcoming All In show on September 1 is Lucha Underground champion Pentagon Jr. and he opens up about how he got booked on the show.
Pentagon spoke with Fightful about many topics, including the All In show that is being organized by The Young Bucks and Cody Rhodes. Pentagon said his previous positive experience wrestling all three wrestlers opened the door for him to appear on the show, joining the likes of Kazuchika Okada, Fenix, Marty Scurll, Kota Ibushi and more.
All In is a unique event that is set to have more than 10,000 fans in attendance at the Sears Center in Chicago, a feat that no wrestling company that wasn't WWE/F or WCW had been able to achieve for a wrestling show in the United States in many years. Regarding how this event could impact the wrestling business, Pentagon said the business side of professional wrestling has changed in recent years to the point where a show like All In, and more events down the road could succeed. Pentagon also credits The Young Bucks and Cody Rhodes for taking such a huge gamble and attempt to do an indie wrestling show that can draw more than 10,000 people.
"The business of wrestling has evolved in such an important manner that now the independent wrestlers have more power and more freedom. With The Young Bucks, I’ve had my battles with them alongside my brother [Fenix] in PWG, The Crash and in other promotions. With Cody Rhodes, I wrestled him about four times in Mexico and in the United States and they’ve been great matches so I think that’s why they took notice of me and wanted to be a part of this grand event in Chicago. It’s the first independent wrestling event of its kind being made and I’m glad that they dared to attempt this and hey, the response has been incredible with the event being sold out in like less than 30 minutes. It speaks to how strong independent wrestlers’ work is nowadays to the overall growth of wrestling," Pentagon said.
Of course, with Pentagon being one of the biggest Mexican wrestlers today, some would think that WWE might be calling in soon. When Fightful first spoke with Pentagon earlier this year, he said WWE had not spoken with him about a potential offer.
When Fightful recently spoke with Pentagon once more, the question surrounding WWE was raised once more. Pentagon reiterated that he hasn't been contacted by WWE and if he were to ever receive an offer from WWE, he wouldn't be sure if he were to take the offer or not.
"I have yet to be contacted by them, they have not contacted me personally. [As far as taking a WWE deal] I don’t know. I would have to take a look at the offer and see what’s out there before committing to an answer. For now, I am very happy with the work I have now. I’m extremely grateful to Impact, to AAA, to CMLL, to The Crash, to Lucha Underground, everybody who gives me work on a weekly basis. I’m very happy with where I stand, but WWE has never contacted me personally. We’ll see what happens in the future," Pentagon said.
Pentagon is scheduled to wrestle IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega at All In. Fightful will provide coverage of the event as it draws closer as well as live coverage of All In on September 1.