Here's your Fight Size wrestling Update for the morning of July 12th, 2018.
- At NJPW's G1 Special show this past Saturday Hiromu Takahashi defended his IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship against Dragon Lee in a hard fought bout. During the match Dragon Lee caught Hiromu in a "Phoenix Plex" maneuver where Hiromu was trapped in an inverted "alley-oop" position and was tossed over Dragon Lee's shoulders. Hiromu landed directly on his neck and immediately grabbed for it after the move.
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reported that NJPW officials believed that Hiromu broke his neck during the spot and following the match Hiromu collapsed backstage and was taken to a local medical facility. NJPW provided a brief update on Hiromu and noted that he has returned to Japan to undergo further treatment.
"On July 7, during the G1 Special in San Francisco event, Hiromu Takahashi sustained a neck injury and was taken to a San Francisco hospital for evaluation.
Takahashi was able to return to Japan today, and will proceed with treatment. We apologize for the delay in publishing this update, which was in order to ensure smooth and efficient transit for Takahashi at the airport. We deeply appreciate our fans' concerns. Please stay tuned to NJPW for further updates."
- During a recent sit-down interview with Jamie Foxx, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson explained why he stopped going by "The Rock" for a period of time.
- WWE Hall Of Famer Beth Phoenix was at the Performance Center recently according to PWInsider.
- Former two-time WWE Cruiserweight Champion 'Real1' is now pursuing his rap career in full force and he recently shot a skit with fellow rapper '6ix9ine'.
- Former 3-time WWF Intercontinental Champion Goldust hosted a Q&A over Twitter yesterday where he answered a great deal of questions that the public wanted to know.
- During an interview with 'Vanity Fair' Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson shot down the idea of running for President in 2020 and explained that job is one that requires a ton of time and attention and he does not have that at the moment with the way that his schedule is looking.
- It was reported by PWInsider that the 'TLC' PPV which was scheduled for this October will be taking the place of the 'Clash Of Champions' PPV on December 16th. The October 21st date that was set to be 'TLC' was announced as a dual-brand super-show to those in attendance at a recent live event.
- 'Black Saturday' will be added to the 'Hidden Gems' section of the WWE Network today as first reported by WWE Network News. 'Black Saturday' is known in wrestling terms as the day that Vince McMahon took over a time slot on WBTS that had normally featured Georgia Championship Wrestling and World Championship Wrestling. This is what kick-started the rivalry between Vince McMahon and then-WBTS owner Ted Turner.