Here is your fight size update for Sunday, August 29, 2021.
- Ed Asner has passed away at the age of 91. The industry icon starred in 1974's 'The Wrestler' as Frank Bass, a professional wrestling promoter who was dealing with the pressures of his position.
On behalf of Fightful, we'd like to send our most heartfelt condolences to family, friends, and fans of Mr. Asner.
- Billy Corgan spoke with Metro.co.uk ahead of NWA 73 and commented on Ric Flair's appearance and potentially working together more in the future. Here is what he said:
"I think that’s one of those situations where you just see where it goes... Ric Flair, I don’t know if there’s a bigger legend in wrestling, right? You could say Vince McMahon but Vince McMahon, although he has wrestled, he’s an owner and a personality first and a professional wrestler second, and I think he would agree with that... [Ric] has so many opportunities and I think he should explore all these opportunities. I’m glad to be in business with him on this, of course I would love to have him back."
- Kevin Owens reflected on the 5 year anniversary of his WWE Universal Championship win, saying thank you to all those who have supported him over the years.
5 years. pic.twitter.com/dKKrL1irFO— Kevin (@FightOwensFight) August 29, 2021
- Jimmy Hart recently spoke with Wrestling Inc. and shared what Vince McMahon told him he looks for in a top star.
“Vince McMahon years and years and years ago in Poughkeepsie, New York said to me, ‘Jimmy, I’m looking for my next big attraction. Someone that can walk through any airport in the world, and even a casual wrestling fan will recognize him.’ He specifically wanted a casual to recognize him, one that rarely watches TV. ‘Then, I can take him on the Today Show, the Tonight Show, and they can hold their own with a host about anything the host wants to talk about and not embarrass the company. Then, I can take him and give him about a three or four months’ push on TV and they can make me a million dollars worth of merchandise.’”
- Paul Heyman took to Twitter to reflect on the year he has spent alongside Roman Reigns. The current Universal Champion returned at last year's SummerSlam and teamed up with Heyman on the following SmackDown.
EXACTLY 1 YEAR AGO, I was rescued by @wweromanreigns. In the 52 weeks that have transpired since then, the #TribalChief has redefined the medium, disrupted the status quo and titled the axis of what it means to be THEE top superstar in @WWE ... and we've only just begun! pic.twitter.com/R9gyaTJfZC— Paul Heyman (@HeymanHustle) August 29, 2021
- Brandi Rhodes shared the following post where she expresses how she has been feeling as of late as well as other topics of importance.
- In Esquire’s video series “Explain This,” Cena commented on Dave Bautista's comments about not wanting to be “lumped in” with other former professional wrestlers turned actors. The Marvel star said "Nah, I'm good" when asked if he'd do a movie with Cena and Dwayne Johnson. The 16-time WWE Champion replied by saying the following:
"I'm super sad about that, because Dave Bautista is an unbelievably gifted actor. He's done some amazing work. But I think when someone makes a statement like that, I think the important thing is to try and look at things from their perspective. Dave has worked so hard on his craft. And he is so dedicated to his characters. And really wants to put forth a body of work that gives him his own identity. I 100 percent understand that. Dave is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and one of the most generous guys you'll ever meet. I don't have any beef with Dave and I really genuinely think Dave doesn't have any beef with me. He really just wants to be identified and recognized for his work. And I cannot fault him for that. I applaud him for it. To be brave enough to say something like that kind of allows him to go forth on his own and I appreciate that."
- Olympic gold medalist and NCAA champion Gable Steveson has taken to Twitter to call himself a modern-day Kurt Angle.
Modern Day Kurt Angle.. pic.twitter.com/wXCzZU0J7j— Gable Steveson (@GableSteveson) August 29, 2021
- Denise Salcedo is returning to GCW!
-- I AM RETURNING TO GCW!!!--— Denise Salcedo (@_denisesalcedo) August 29, 2021
I'll be ring announcing THIS FRIDAY (9/3) at the @GCWrestling_ @BLabelPro 3 CUPS STUFFED in CHICAGO!!!
GET YOUR TICKETS HERE: https://t.co/scXigBAcxT
CAN'T WAIT!!!------ pic.twitter.com/s07kBqVgwo
- Check out WWE.com's collection of the week's 25 coolest Instagram shots.
- The newest WWE Top 10 takes a look at the most heart-stopping couples entrances.