Maria Kanellis Discusses Her Pregnancy Storyline In WWE; Trusting Paul Heyman's Vision

Maria Kanellis' pregnancy storyline in WWE never had the chance to play out.

In June 2017, Maria Kanellis returned to WWE with her husband, Mike Bennett, after seven years away from the company. Two years later, Maria would reveal that she was pregnant during a mixed tag team match against Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch. This would evolve into a story in which Maria would insult her husband, tell him he wasn't the child's father, and ultimately, cost him matches in humiliating fashion.

"F-- No, That's Stupid": Eric Bischoff Says Cheese Doesn't Belong On Burgers

Appearing as a guest on a recent episode of Oral Sessions with Renee Paquette, Kanellis shared that it was Paul Heyman who helped launch the angle. Sadly, however, they were not able to see it through to the end.

"Paul Heyman was the one that started the storyline with us and I always trusted him and his vision. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it got cut short. I knew that if it was able to grow and last, we'd be able to run with it. I wanted that payoff for Mike at the end. Unfortunately, he didn't get it," Maria said.

Had the story been allowed to continue, Maria says that it would have launched Bennett into a big babyface run. She added the following:

"Him turning on me at the very end and becoming this big babyface. To have that babyface run and talking about his addiction struggles and coming back from addiction and I would come back from my maternity leave and we could have that face-to-face at the end. He was supposed to turn on me and the royal bitch that I was at the time. I was looking forward to it because it was a great out. He turns on me, I leave, I'm gonna go get real big and pregnant and then I'll come back. We had really fun moments and I can say I was the first pregnant champ, so that's fun."

Mike and Maria were released by WWE on Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Mike Bennett is currently travelling the independent circuit while Maria Kanellis had been focused on the Ring of Honor women's division. On October 27, though, it was reported that ROH had released all talent from their contracts. You can learn more here.

If you use the quote above, please credit the original source with a h/t and link back to Fightful for the transcription.

Get exclusive pro wrestling content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web