Here is your fight size update for Tuesday, July 13, 2021.
- Matt Hardy and Reby Sky welcomed their fourth child into the world, the couple's first daughter. Her name is Ever “Eevee” Moore Hardy. The couple shared exclusive photos with US Weekly.
- Mick Foley took to Facebook to post a lengthy remembrance post for the late Paul Orndorff, who sadly passed away on July 12.
REMEMBERING PAUL ORNDORFF
The world got a little less wonderful today with the passing of Paul Orndorff. Paul was not only one of the all-time greats in the ring, with an intensity and believability that was off the charts - but he was a mentor and a teacher to so many. Steve Austin used to ride with him frequently back in the WCW days, and it was as if every drive was a chance to sit under the fabled learning tree - as Paul and Steve would talk about the matches; what made them work, what could have been better.
I really don’t know if there would have been a first WrestleMania without Paul Orndorff. His teaming with Hulk Hogan, and the amazing heat from their subsequent break up and feud was really one of the key factors that got the ball rolling for such a landmark moment in the wrestling business.
Paul was also a key factor in my own career. I had a chance to wrestle him for the first time on an independent show in 1990, and his praise was a big boost for my confidence. I would go on to do several independent shows with Paul, participate in a few overseas tours, be part of Herb Abrams UWF, before catching up with Paul again in WCW in 1992, where our matches led to my babyface turn in late 1992. I wrote about this in my first book, citing a conversation I had with Paul following one of those matches. Paul mentioned to me that he had just signed a contract with WCW, and he thanked me for the matches, believing that they had been a factor in receiving that contract. In that book from 1999, I said it was one of the biggest compliments I had ever received. 22 years later, his words still loom just as large.
I remember how taken I was with Mr. Wonderful’s intensity when I was a fan. I got to experience that intensity every time we shared the ring. Our best known match is probably Super Brawl III from February, 1993; there’s a GIF from that match that has been seen hundreds of thousands of times! But I specifically remember telling Paul that I was not going to make a comeback in that match – that instead, his intensity in selling every near fall, his animated frustration at not being able to put me away, would serve as my comeback. There is not another worker in the business that I could have pulled that off with.
Away from the ring, he was a true gentleman. My wife enjoyed talking with him very much. I regret that I did not keep in contact with Paul over the years, but I send my deepest sympathies to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Paul.
- Thursday's episode of New Japan Pro Wrestling on The Roku Channel will feature:
Power Struggle: Tetsuya Naito vs. EVIL
For IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champion Tetsuya Naito to make it to Wrestle Kingdom with his titles, he must defeat ally-turned-archenemy EVIL one final time.
- Cody Rhodes, Jerry Lawler, and more are set for Northeast Wrestling WrestleFest 25
- Here is the information for the public funeral for Paul Orndorff:
- Baron Corbin needs the money and that's why he's on Cameo.
- WWE Music has added entrance themes for Alexa Bliss, Nikki A.S.H., and Mustafi Ali on its YouTube channel.
- Today, WWE stock closed at $55.63.
- Make sure you are subscribed to Fightful Select. A subscription grants you early access to interviews, Q&A opportunities, early looks at breaking news, and more. Also, make sure to check us out on YouTube and Twitch.
- Check out the latest vlog from Sammy Guevara: