MJ Jenkins didn't see her release from WWE coming.
Jenkins was one of many wrestlers who were released by WWE in April as part of cost-cutting measures due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Jenkins, who had wrestled for NXT since 2018, spoke with Gary Cassidy of Sportskeeda and said she didn't expect to be released from the company after having worked a lot on her character and ring work.
"Regarding my release, I definitely wasn't expecting it. Mainly because where I stood with the company. We'd come so far in developing everything that A Whole Lot of Woman is. Ring work, promo work, creative work. Like digging deep into it and so, when I got released, it was just, it was very confusing for me. Especially because, like, the last conversations I've had with them was, you know, 'Hey, we're not going to put you out there just to put you out there. When we put you out there, we want it to be about you and right now is just not the time for you,' so when they told me that it was just, right now, there were other people that was in line for it, it was like, 'Keep doing what you're doing, you're doing great, now is not the right time.' I took that as my time will come and, until then, I'm going to keep on doing what I have to do and everything will fall into place," Jenkins said.
Jenkins' time in NXT was mostly relegated to working live events, but she did wrestle on the January 15 episode of NXT when she competed in a Battle Royal with a future title shot on the line. Bianca Belair ended up winning that match.
The full interview can be read at this link.