Nick Aldis Says NWA Never Had Intentions Of Halting, Is Working On A Pilot For A New Series

The National Wrestling Alliance has not held events during the pandemic and there is no sign they will be returning to live events anytime soon. The promotion started creating original content for YouTube during its hiatus, but that has slowed with there being no YouTube upload since June 18.

Appearing on Busted Open Radio, Nick Aldis discussed the current status of the NWA.

WWE 205 Live Results for 11/26/21 Solo Sikoa vs Andre Chase, Amari Miller vs Erica Yan

"There was never any intention of things halting. The way that we looked at everything, it was a necessary moment for us to say, 'we need to pivot and reset, and in many ways, rebuild.' I'll remind fans, we set the tone in 2017-2018 with the Ten Pounds of Gold series and we had all these questions back then, 'what are you doing? You have one person on your roster and you don't have a show. Are you going to have a roster and other belts?' That's the expectation that comes with a wrestling brand, and we were able to build and establish a new legacy of the NWA in the modern era with that series. It's taken me and others to remind Billy, 'we're the best at bootstrapping with limited resources.' Like we've proven before, by stripping away the bullshit, you let the talent be highlighted. That's what we're going to get back to. In the short-term, it'll go back to the prizefight of pro wrestling, making people care about one champion, one belt, one prize, one culmination of collision. Ultimately, we have to figure out how we're going to do it and maintain the high quality," he said.

When asked if the resignation of David Lagana, who served as Vice President for the company before he was accused of sexual misconduct, Aldis said, "That was part of it, when somebody has that level of responsibility and they decide to step down in order to address those issues, it's tough. The other point you have to remember is we didn't get a rights fee for our show. We were blessed to sell out the GPB Studios when we did our tapings and that goes a long way because ultimately, it's still a business. It's not a vanity project. Without the ability to sell tickets and have an audience, it's problematic."

Though things have slowed for the company, Aldis is working on new content for fans. 

"I have a lot of strings to my bow. Just because I'm not tweeting about them all and telling everyone, 'Watch this space, big things coming,' it doesn't mean I haven't been working on other things. In fact, I'm about 75% done with a pilot for a new series that I've been pitching to Billy for Patreon. It's sort of a documentary series about training to become a pro wrestler. It wasn't a bump in the road, it was a fucking pothole. I'm very confident in what I've done and there's a lot more to come. Motivation is not an issue. I've been motivated by the circumstances and I've ascended into a senior advisor role for the time being. It's not a permanent thing and I was already in that role because I've defined this company through my work. I've been very motivated by the fact that Billy has put so much trust in me," he said.

Billy Corgan shot down any rumors of NWA shutting down earlier in July in an Instagram post, but it is unknown when they will return to live events or producing content.

Elsewhere during the interview, Aldis revealed that the company is still making five-figures of revenue, which he says is largely due to him. You can find his full comments by clicking here.

If you use any of the quotes above, please give a h/t and link back to Fightful for the transcription.

Get exclusive pro wrestling content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web