Attorneys representing the dozens of plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit against WWE have filed a motion asking a judge to deny WWE's recent request to end the discovery phase of the suit.
As first reported by PWInsider, the plaintiff attorneys filed the motion on Wednesday, February 22, and cited the recent deaths of Jimmy Snuka, George Steele, and Ivan Koloff, among others, as reasons to continue the discovery phase.
More than 50 wrestlers have joined the class-action suit against WWE, claiming the promotion is responsible for neuroligical injuries sustained during the plaintiffs' wrestling career. WWE attorneys previously requested the close of the discovery phase, on the grounds that this suit was added to already existing suits against the company.
The plaintiffs' attorneys' motion said, in part, “The epidemic that is killing professional wrestlers and the Plaintiffs in this case necessitate a full and robust discovery to ensure that these wrestlers are given the relief they need before more wrestlers die from the complications of professional wrestling. Discovery should not be stayed as it is only further wasting precious time and rewarding the Defendants abusive, delaying tactics.”
“While Plaintiffs are dying from their in-ring injuries and long-term neurological conditions, the Defendants seek to delay simple discovery to prevent the public and its former wrestlers from finally seeing the decades of fraudulent conduct that has resulted in severe injuries for its employees," the motion said.
A March 2 hearing is scheduled regarding sanctions requested by WWE's legal team against the plaintiffs' attorneys, alleging they plagiarized from an NFL lawsuit over concussions.
- From The Web