WWE doctors reportedly do not believe Paige needs neck surgery. The former WWE Divas Champion, who was suspended Monday for a second violation of the company wellness policy, is scheduled for surgery this coming Wednesday, Oct. 20.
Joined by her boyfriend, Alberto Del Rio, Paige told TMZ earlier this week that she would need the surgery and be out for six to seven months recuperating.
However, on the latest episode of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said that the surgery was a major point of contention between WWE and Paige, as her doctors believe she needs the surgery. Meltzer also said that WWE might not pay for the surgery if the company deems it unnecessary.
This is the latest news in a saga involving Paige, Del Rio and WWE that has lasted for about two months. It began when both Del Rio and Paige were suspended from WWE for violating the wellness policy. Del Rio left the company before his 30-day suspension was up. During that 30-day period, there were reports that Paige was seeking her release. Paige posted on social media in mid September denying those reports and that she would be coming back to television. However, her injury kept her off TV and out of the ring until this second violation of the wellness policy.
After the second violation, Paige, her parents, her brothers and her boyfriend Del Rio all commented publicly on the issue. WWE, which typically does not comment in public on wellness policy violations other than to announce them, issued its own statement, saying, "Saraya-Jade Bevis tested positive for an illegal substance, not a prescription drug. In addition, WWE is providing world-class medical care for her in-ring injury."