Report: WWE Has The Option To Buy And Shut Down UK Partner Promotions

More information on WWE's partnership with UK promotions.

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reports that WWE has the option to buy and shut down their UK partner promotions at any point over the next several years. Meltzer reports that it would cost WWE in the "high six figures" to purchase certain companies. WWE currently has working agreements with European promotions PROGRESS, WXW, and ICW.

AEW Announces Replica World Championship Belt; Pre-Orders Start June 23

RevPro owner Andy Quildan and WWE were in negotiations to become partners, but the negotiations ended when the "buy and shut down" clause was put on the table.

"I've had discussions with WWE. I always thought we were on good terms," Quildan told The Indy Corner back in August"When we spoke originally, there was talk about conflict of interest with my New Japan relationship. When we spoke again, it was a case of, 'Well, all that stuff can be sorted out afterwards. Let's just explore where we can work together.' When there's uncertainty about the future, there's no definitive 'this is going to happen, that's going to happen.' When someone says to you, 'This would be the deal.' There was no deal offered. It was just discussions. This is what we were feeling out in discussions. 'We want the option to release footage for the Network with an option to buy.' 'Okay, an option to buy the footage?' 'No, the promotion as a whole.' 'Well what would happen to the promotion?' 'That's to be determined.' When there's that level of uncertainty....it's important for me to stay true to myself. I'm not going to jump because three big letters come towards me."

RevPro currently has a working agreement with NJPW. 

As previously reported, NXT UK talent are now restricted from working for non-WWE partnered promotions in Europe, their appearances cannot be filmed for distribution or streaming, and they cannot work against anyone from a major company (NJPW, RevPro, ROH, etc...). An exception has already been made for Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate, both of whom will be allowed to compete for Destiny Wrestling January

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web