X-Pac reveals that WWE is doing a documentary on the SmackDown episode that aired following the September 11 attack.
WWE takes pride in “first time ever” moments. One of the most genuine first time ever moments came in 2001 when SmackDown became the first live broadcast and large gathering following the attack on the World Trade Center that occurred on September 11, 2001. In the years that have passed, WWE has often touted that moment as one of its proudest, and now, they're doing a documentary on that evening.
News of the documentary was revealed by Sean Waltman on his Pro Wrestling 4 Life podcast. Waltman revealed that he shot a talking head segment for this documentary and another one, that he could not recall, while he was in Stamford, Connecticut for his appearance on WWE’s The Bump.
“They had other stuff for me to do there. I signed a bunch of [Topps trading cards]. They had a gold plate. I want to say the lady told me that the set cost $15,000,” Waltman recalled. “So yeah, I signed a bunch of stuff and I sat down for some talking head stuff for -- they're doing a documentary on the SmackDown after 9/11... I have vivid memories of all of that. We were the first ones to do anything after what happened. The first entertainment.”
When asked if he was scared about any attacks that night, the two-time WWE Hall of Famer said he was not worried about anything but he was traumatized from the attack.
“Obviously, I was traumatized like the rest of the nation, you know? But as far as being scared for anything locally, no.”
Waltman then revealed that he filmed even more content for WWE.
“I think, I can't remember what else to ask me. Anyways, I talked about something for another doc, too, but I can't remember which one it was. It was nice, man.”
Recently, WWE Network premiers have been moved from their previously scheduled dates. WWE has yet to air its Icons special around Lex Luger.
If you use any of the above quotes, please link back to this article crediting Fightful for the transcription.