Here is your fight-size update for Friday, January 29, 2021:
- Shawn Michaels, during an appearance on the Getting Over Podcast, named Shotzi Blackheart, Austin Theory, and Xia Li, and her whole stable, as must-watch acts on NXT television.
- Shawn Michaels also discussed the lack of pressure for competing in the Royal Rumble for an extended length of time.
“There's a lot more improvisation, I guess, that can go on. We always find, as performers, fun and enjoyable. But at the same time, you have to balance that with, again, they're being a lot of other things going on in there that you may or may not know about.
“There's a lot of things going on at the same time in there that may or may not concern you but you still have to be wary of it. There's a lot of possibility for injury and things of that nature and those matches because there's so many bodies so there's an aspect of awareness of being careful, of being in the right place, or staying out of the way. There's also the possibility of a lot of stuff going wrong. Maybe something happening that you didn't expect to happen and so it is coupled with a little bit of concern and anxiety but it's so big and so long that you feel that pressure, I think, make up for any of those things that happen out there... So if something does go wrong, it's not as glaring and it doesn't ruin the entire story and idea of the match.”
(Please leave a h/t: Fightful as credit for this quote if you use it in another article.)
- The latest Wrestling Observer reported that the recent match between Dax Harwood and Jungle Boy was Dax’s idea presented to Tony Khan. The overall concept is to help get the son of Luke Perry on the path to becoming a major babyface.
- The ultimate Royal Rumble will take place this Sunday as Matt Camp, Evan T Mack, and Sam Roberts try to construct the greatest Royal Rumble of all time.
- Former World Class Championship Wrestling referee John Renesto has passed away. Court Bauer of MLW took time to remember Renesto on Twitter.
Wrestling lost a terrific referee in John Renesto, a staple of World Class Championship Wrestling. Many have relayed how John helped a lot or up and comers on the circuit. Family goes back 3 generations in the sport. Rest In Peace.— Court Bauer (@courtbauer) January 29, 2021
- I'm afraid I've got some... Good news! Wade Barrett announced today that he has become a citizen of the United States of America.
Today, after 13.5 years of living in this great nation, I have been granted Citizenship of the USA.— Stu Bennett (@StuBennett) January 29, 2021
Thank you ---- for embracing this Englishman. World Cups aside, I will continue to support you in everything you do.
To Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Cheers!--
- Today, the WWE stock closed at $56.34.
- Former WWE Diva Ariane Andrew recently released a single called “Born With It.” You can check out behind the scenes footage at this link.
- You can check out everything you need to know before SmackDown at this link.
- Speaking with Bleacher Report, Shelton Benjamin opened up about why he's glad to be friends with MVP.
"When you look at the overall history of MVP, I wouldn't say these are failures; I would say they were learning experiences, because while he didn't get a foothold in these places, he always made an impact wherever he went, and that speaks to his talent. He was still building his brand. There's talent there that you can't deny."
"It's really simple," Benjamin says. "If you're a talented guy, a stand-up guy, he's going to speak up for you. The great thing about MVP is you don't have to wonder where you stand with him because he doesn't pull punches."
- Goldberg recently spoke with Soundsphere Magazine and named four stars he thinks are WWE's future.
I mean the usual suspects… Drew McIntyre, Keith Lee, and Ricochet. I’ve always been a HUGE fan of Finn Bálor. I’d have to say those four are the future. There’s no question about it. In my opinion and what do I know?
- In a new interview with Alex McCarthy, Darby Allin revealed he wants to team more with Jon Moxley.
“I would like to be in a tag team and possibly with him. I’d love us to go in there with FTR because I really dig what those guys are doing. Whenever my and Moxley’s worlds collide again, I’m totally open to the idea.”
- Subscribe to Fightful Select today. It is the best way to directly support our website and also gain access to exclusive news, podcasts, interviews, and more.
- Also, make sure you are checking us out on YouTube.