Here is your fight-size update for Monday, March 1, 2021:
- Speaking with Sports Illustrated, Sheamus credited Cesaro and their tag team run as a big reason Sheamus’ WWE career has continued as long as it has.
“If it wasn’t for him, I don’t know if I’d still be in WWE,” Sheamus says. “I’d just finished with League of Nations, which didn’t work, and I didn’t know where I was going. Cesaro had just come back from a shoulder injury, and he didn’t know where he was going. Then they put us in the best of seven. By the time we’d wrestled twice, it felt like people were already over it. But we tried to do something different with our fights, and it won the crowd over.”
He added, “We knew each other before we teamed together in the Bar, and we were always cordial to one another, but now we’re brothers. He helped me improve my ring work and relax a whole lot more in the ring. I wouldn’t be where I am right now without him.”
On Instagram, The Rock listed his multitude of injuries that he has garnered throughout a career in entertainment and sports, most notably his seven years in WWE.
- Speaking with News4jax, Jim Ross opened up about Shaquille O'Neal mentoring Jade Cargill as both look to have their first wrestling match on Wednesday's episode of AEW Dynamite.
“She had an interest in using her athleticism and her skills to do something else,” Ross said. “What are you going to do? Well, you’re not going to go to the WNBA, she’s past basketball. But she’s a wrestling fan, which is great.”
- The San Diego Comic-Con, which has featured regular WWE-related programming in recent years, has canceled their in-person event for the second year due to COVID-19.
- In an interview with The Angle Podcast, Moose spoke about his ability to do a Spanish Fly.
“I wasn’t surprised by the reactions. I can work any style. Kenny Omega I love him as a wrestler, I don’t know him much, but I will say he’s top 5 best wrestlers in the world and being in the match with him I understand just by the way his mind thinks. In my mind, it was just another day in the office, I know how good I am and I just had to do what I know I can do. I pick my spots to do stuff for fans who don’t watch weekly. When I do something, it’s for the right moment or the match needs it. For example, hitting the Spanish Fly. I thought hitting a Spanish Fly as a guy who’s my size would pop people and that me doing it to Kenny Omega, that’s what everyone would be talking about, that Moose hit a Spanish Fly against Kenny Omega. Nothing against anybody on our roster, but if I hit a Spanish Fly on Shera, nobody would give a hell about it. Nothing against him, but Kenny Omega is not the same name value. So you have to strategically pick the right spots and the right place to do them.”
- Speaking on Women’s Wrestling Talk, Deonna Purrazo noted several names on the IMPACT roster that she wants to defend her Knockouts Championship against.
“So first and foremost, it's always Tasha Steelz and the trainer will always win out. Then Kiera Hogan is another one. Then there's, there's Nevaeh... There's Tenille Dashwood, those five people I've never really gotten to truly have a competitive match in the ring with or I've never been in the ring with at all. I think those you know… women are some of the top competitors at Impact and people I want to defend my championship against successfully.”
- After becoming the Japanese finalist in the AEW Women’s Eliminator Tournament, Ryo Mizunami gave the following reaction on Twitter.
#AEWWomensTournament Became representative of Japan --— 水波綾 (Ryo Mizunami) (@mizunami0324) March 1, 2021
Thank you for your support
The American champion is Thunder Rosa or Nyla... whichever comes, I'm ready
With the joy of climbing into the AEW ring again, I will wrestle with Mizunami and decide to win! ️#AEW #ANIKI--
Fightful will have live coverage of the American final this evening as it airs on YouTube.
- AEW's Luther has launched a new podcast series on the paranormal entitled "Luther's World of Cryptids, Ghosts and the Unexplained."
- WrestleZone spoke with Ian Riccaboni of Ring of Honor.
- Antonio Inoki shared the following video on social media of himself receiving physical therapy.
- In what may be bad news for Bow Wow, Soulja Boy has called the rap game faker than wrestling.
Rap game faker than WWE— Soulja Boy (Drako) (@souljaboy) February 28, 2021
"I can't say that it's still doesn't shock me just because it's one thing to be at work and all dress up and have the boots on and robe. But it's a whole other thing to be on your own time and then feeling in your own space and then seeing someone else dressed up as you and the impact that you have," Flair said. "You're like, wow, I do really mean something. I know that I am important to my job, but still it's like, wow, I did that. It's such a gratifying feeling, but also empowering, makes you want to work that much harder. Like, wow, that little girl thinks that highly of me to want to dress like me. I just want to be that much better of a person and performer. I don't know. It just never gets old."
- WWE stock today closed at $52.49 per share. This was an increase of 6.26%
- Make sure you are subscribed to Fightful Select. A subscription grants you early access to interviews, Q&A opportunities, early looks at breaking news, and more. Also, make sure to check us out on YouTube and Twitch.