Here is your fight-size update for Monday, February 8, 2021.
Shinsuke Nakamura recently turned babyface on SmackDown. Now, he has once again made it his mission to become WWE Champion. In a video released on Twitter over the weekend, Nakamura explained that it is his purpose to be the first-ever Japanese-born WWE Champion.
"This year I didn't win the Royal Rumble, but all is not lost. My dream, no, my purpose remains the same. I will be the first-ever Japanese WWE World Heavyweight Champion. The Royal Rumble is only one path on my journey. I need to find… I will find another way to climb the mountain. My journey is not finished. Life goes on."
Shinsuke Nakamura hasn't had a one-on-one match to the WWE Championship since 2018 where he received several during his rivalry against AJ Styles.
- During today's episode of Being The Elite, the working relationship between New Japan and AEW was further teased as Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows asked Nick and Matt Jackson if they would be bringing in Tama Tonga. Nick Jackson denied that Tonga would ever be brought into the company and said that the current working relationship would only last about two weeks. For more information from the perspective of New Japan and Rocky Romero on the working relationship, click here.
- On the most recent episode of The New Day podcast, Kofi Kingston explained how different it was for him this year to not be working the Royal Rumble match.
“It was very strange to know that people were asking me about, ‘Oh, I can't wait to see what you're going to do,’ and I was like, ‘Well, you're going to have to wait until at least next year because I'm not in it,’ Kofi recalled. “It was just strange, that's all. It was good to see y’all. I always take for granted how good it feels to be in the same room as you guys, as all three of us too, you know?”
- Speaking of The New Day at the Royal Rumble, Big E providing an update on the auctioning of their gear.
We’re just getting started with auctioning off all of the Rumble gear and we were already able to send $4000 to @FoodlinkNY today. @AustinCreedWins’ jacket is up now but feel free to hit the link if you’d just like to donate directly to @FoodlinkNY. https://t.co/XS32ckQpoc— Florida Man (@WWEBigE) February 8, 2021
- Earlier today, Bow Wow expressed interest in joining WWE when his music career was over. It appears he's already taken aim at RETRIBUTION.
Are you mad because ill become champ faster than you? Or are you mad that like mike is more legendary than you will ever be? DROPS MIC -- https://t.co/hbO44eYcLi— Bow Wow (@smoss) February 8, 2021
- Appearing on Casual Conversations, Renee Paquette opened up about projects she tried to get it off the ground in WWE that the company never ran with.
“ Yeah, tons of stuff. One thing that I’ve always wanted to do was bring back “Tuesday Titans”. I wanted to host it and I wanted Mean Gene to be my sidekick, that’s what I really really wanted. We never shot a pilot or anything, it never really got any legs at all. Something like that I would have loved. I pitched a couple of different food show ideas of things that I wanted to like some cooking alongside some wrestlers. Trying to get a podcast kind of up and running which I mean the pitches for those never really went too far anyways but, Just like “Unfiltered” trying to expand that show, make it into something else. Interview shows are something that I love to do, just being able to just chat with people and just hang out. Tuesday Night Titans was something I really wanted to do though.”
- Following Dustin Rhodes revealing that Terry Funk was in a great deal of pain and looking for thoughts and prayers, Mick Foley took to Twitter to extend well wishes to his mentor.
I’m wishing my friend and mentor, Terry Funk the very best as he deals with some serious pain issues. The Funker’s hip is giving him a lot of trouble.— Mick Foley (@RealMickFoley) February 8, 2021
No one sacrificed more for the fans than Terry Funk - the GOAT in my opinion, because he made it SO easy to believe. pic.twitter.com/wX0FobyGWQ
- Check out everything you need to know before tonight's episode of Monday Night Raw at this link.
- In an interview with Inside The Ropes, Ace Austin spoke about working with Matt Cardona, somebody he grew up watching.
“It’s moments like that, that are like a real test of your growth as a professional athlete in this industry. Zack Ryder, Matt Cardona, is one of those guys that I watched as a young kid with my brother, he was one of the guys that we liked a lot. So, like… That’s happened to me so often now in my career that those moments are the true test where you have to have that moment inside of yourself where it’s like, ‘Of course, as a human being, this is so exciting, this is so fulfilling’ – but as a professional athlete, as a competitor, you have to glaze that over and you have to be ready for the fight.
He continued, “That’s what makes or breaks you and that’s why I’ve gone so far so fast, because I’m able to flip that switch and be like, ‘I won’t be outshined by anyone, even my favorite pro wrestlers in the world.’”
Recently, Cardona praised Ace Austin while speaking to Denise Salcedo, learn more at this link.
- Speaking with WrestlingInc, Allie Kat spoke about how the independent wrestling world has changed and has become less tense and more inclusive as everybody tries to work together to gain a piece of the pie.
“I think, now, a lot more people in wrestling are educated, and it’s no more, ‘it’s me. You’re trying to come for my spot, brother,'” Kat pointed out. “I think it’s more like, ‘oh, we’re more successful if we work together against those people.’ It’s like, if we all join forces, then we all get paid. If we all work together, then we all get paid.
“So maybe let’s stop fighting each other. I think we’re all in, and now, there’s also just so many more places to wrestle. There’s so many more places that stream. There’s now two things on TV again. There’s just so many more spots that have opened up that I think the competition is less with each other and it’s more like, let’s just be good together.
“That’s how I feel. That’s how I feel with all of my friends in wrestling. We’re better together, and if you help me, I help you and then we both make money. Then we’re all happy. Maybe that’s too simple. Maybe that’s too naïve, but I’m just going to keep doing it.”
WWE has released more Bad Bunny merchandise.
- Fightful Select broke the news earlier today about GCW’s Collective heading to Tampa, Florida for WrestleMania week. Subscribe to support our exclusive and independent coverage of professional wrestling. You'll get access to exclusive news, and dozens of additional podcasts.