Here is your Fight Size Update for Saturday, May 1, 2021.
- Speaking with ET Canada's Shakiel Mahjouri, Matt Hardy was asked how it felt nearly setting a viewership record on "AEW Dynamite" opposite a future superstar in Darby Allin? He said the following:
"It was super exciting, it was our first week unopposed, so I was very happy to be in that slot. And Darby is starting to prove to be a ratings guy because people really like him. And he gets it so much. He reminds me of my brother in so many ways as to how he sells from underneath. He gets sympathy and he's just he's cool. The kids like him. He's super cool. And me at this stage of the game, being an older competitor, especially with the younger AEW audience, I am the perfect bad guy, I think, for a Darby Allin or someone like that. So I was expecting them to be big. I hoped we would break a million and do a good number. But when we heard 1.2, I was blown away and super happy, super excited. And I really think it was a good payoff because people didn't know when they tuned in if Darby Allin was going to lose the TNT title or retain the title. And I think that was part of the charm of it."
- During a recent appearance on Busted Open Radio, AEW President Tony Khan shared his favorite wrestling matches. Here is what he said:
“Okay, there’s two matches I go back and watch every year. One is very recent; they’re completely different. One of them is Kenny Omega and Hangman Page vs. The Young Bucks, which to me is as good a tag match as I’ve seen. The other is (Randy) Savage vs. (Ricky) Steamboat. I go back and watch it every year. They’re completely different; one has all the bells and whistles, one has less bells and whistles. They’re both perfect, one is my favorite tag team match, the other is my favorite singles match. So yeah; Hangman and Kenny vs. the Young Bucks and Savage and Steamboat.”
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
- Sonny Kiss was the most recent guest on Outside the Ring with Lexy Nair. The full interview can be seen below, via All Elite Wrestling's YouTube Channel.
- Ember Moon shared on Twitter that her friend Shawn Vexx passed away. Vex was a retired professional wrestler who worked predominately for Anarchy Championship Wrestling. He was only 42 years old. Moon shared the following message:
"Damn, another friend passed away today and this one hurts. Such a beautiful person inside and out. Always had a great since of humor and helped anyone wh asked! I hate we never had that singles match... #RIPShawnVexx"
On behalf of Fightful, we would like to send our most heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and fans of Shawn Vexx.
- An outraged Tamina makes her passion a family thing when she fires off at Nia Jax as she and Natalya continue to pursue the WWE Women’s Tag Team Titles.
- The latest WWE Top 10 takes a look back at this week’s Friday Night SmackDown to revisit the show’s most thrilling, physical and controversial moments. You can watch it here.
- After losing to Roman Reigns last night on SmackDown, Daniel Bryan is now banished from the blue brand. Johnny Gargano shared an old photo of him and Bryan, perhaps hoping that the former WWE Champion finds his way to NXT on Tuesday nights.
It's been awhile.. pic.twitter.com/4OFYXOMPup— Johnny Gargano (@JohnnyGargano) May 1, 2021
- Mick Foley shared a video of himself receiving his second COVID-19 vaccination.
- John Cena is currently filming a Peacemaker series for DC and HBO Max. He and The Suicide Squad director James Gunn had an exchange on Twitter today, joking about the WWE Superstar wearing the costume on his off days.
- IMPACT shared a video that provides an exclusive look at scenes from backstage at IMPACT Wrestling! Watch here.
- Make sure you are subscribed to Fightful Select. A subscription grants you early access to interviews, Q&A opportunities, early looks at breaking news, and more. Also, make sure to check us out on YouTube and Twitch.