Ted DiBiase Calls Charges Against His Son 'A Bunch Of Garbage', Says They're Looking For A Scapegoat

Ted DiBiase isn't convinced of the charges against his son.

On April 29, the United States Department of Justice issued a statement saying Theodore Marvin DiBiase Jr. (Ted DiBiase Jr) had been charged with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and to commit theft concerning programs receiving federal funds, six counts of wire fraud, two counts of theft concerning programs receiving federal funds, and four counts of money laundering.

Matt Hardy Confirms Hardys Are Still Free Agents, Details Jeff Hardy Returning To TNA Wrestling

The charges are related to misappropriating millions of dollars in federal safety-net funds intended for needy families and low-income individuals in Mississippi.

DiBiase Jr. pleaded not guilty and was released on an unsecured $10,000 bond.

Appearing on Going Ringside, WWE Hall of Famer Ted DiBiase commented on the situation his son currently finds himself in, saying that they're looking for a scapegoat.

“We’re doing good,” said DiBiase. “And all of that is a bunch of garbage. I’m not at liberty to talk about it but you know it’s kind of like they’re looking for a scapegoat.”

The Million Dollar man continued on to say that his famous name made his family a target for federal investigators.

“We’re caught in the middle of it. If I didn’t have a celebrity name they wouldn’t even be looking at me,” DiBiase said.

Ted DiBiase Jr. made his WWE television debut in May 2008. Over the next five years he held the Million Dollar Championship and the World Tag Team Titles twice. He had his final match with the company in May 2013.

In March, Brett DiBiase pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to defraud the US.

Fightful will continue to monitor the story as it unfolds.

Get exclusive pro wrestling content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.