During his time in NXT as the general manager, William Regal became synonymous with WarGames as he would announce the bout with much excitement and pleasure. WarGames came to the WWE main roster at WWE Survivor Series, but Regal wasn't around to provide the announcement.
Triple H gave the fans what they wanted, posting a supercut of Regal's 'WarGames!' announcements.
Tonight just wouldn't be the same without... pic.twitter.com/5wM71u0u7i— Triple H (@TripleH) November 26, 2022
Speaking on the ROH Final Battle media call, Tony Khan reacted to Triple H's video given Regal's status in AEW before it was officially confirmed that Regal would be departing the company at the end of the year.
"The way I believe it's written, is that after this year, he would be able to go back and coach, but I believe we have it written that he would not be appearing on-screen next year. I wouldn't expect to see him as an on-screen person next year," Khan said when asked if there were any conditions to Regal leaving AEW to return to WWE.
He continued, "Honestly, given the spirit of the thing and how accommodating we were being, I was really surprised by the tweet with the supercut of him on it, especially since he's still been with us and part of the shows. We're still addressing him on the show and going into last week's show, especially, he's still a big part of our show. I was a little surprised by the supercut of him on Triple H's twitter, and given how accommodating we were being to the whole thing, I was not necessarily expecting to see that. I didn't necessarily think it was in the spirit of how accommodating we were being about the whole thing, but whatever. The important thing is that it's a situation that will be resolved and he will be able to be there and do the coaching and work with his son and the stuff that's important to him, that he said, he was cool and okay with it being a release that he would not be appearing on TV next year."
Khan reiterated that he could not accommodate all family reunions like he was able to do with Regal leaving AEW to join his son Charlie Dempsey in NXT.
Regal is still under contract with AEW through the end of 2022. You can find Khan's full comments regarding Regal's departure by clicking here.
If you use any of the quotes above, please credit the original source with a h/t and link back to Fightful for the transcription.