Here is your fight-size update for Monday, February 1, 2021:
- As first reported by our premium service, Fightful Select, Vince McMahon was not backstage at the WWE ThunderDome in Tampa, Florida during last night's Royal Rumble event.
WWE had their Royal Rumble lineup set by Sunday morning, and what you saw unfold is the order they had planned it. During big shows in the past, the lineup has changed all the way up until the show was actually on the air.
Adam Pearce was said to have been instrumental in putting the Royal Rumble match together, and it was received well backstage. Bianca Belair received a standing ovation upon returning backstage after her win.
We're told that Vince McMahon was not seen at the venue on Sunday, and has been missing several shows of late. McMahon has been dealing with the passing of his brother, Rodney. We extend our condolences to the McMahon Family.
- Be sure to subscribe to Fightful Select in order to get access to exclusive news, podcasts, features, Q&A opportunities, and more!
- Kofi Kingston is setting the record straight when it comes to lies being told by Mustafa Ali. In a promo that Kofi released himself, he accused Mustafa Ali of being someone who makes excuses and it doesn't take responsibility for his shortcomings.
“Stop telling all these lies. Let’s start telling the truth. The truth is that you want me to suffer as you have suffered. But, the truth is also that I suffered far longer than you. You were on the roster for two-three years complaining about not getting your due. Try quadrupling that number!
“Don’t talk to me about suffering. The truth is that nobody knows what you have suffered more than me. Nobody knows your suffering more than I know your suffering, because I’ve been there, Ali."
He continued, “Let me give you a piece of advice, man. See the obstacles that lay in front of you, see the mountain, and climb the mountain! Because you can't complain your way to the top, that's not the way it works. Quite frankly, all that complaining, it’s just not a good look man.”
Lies & nightmares -- pic.twitter.com/NUYe4h5wiG— KOFNAN the Barbarian (@TrueKofi) February 1, 2021
(If you use any of the above quotes, please link back to this article and credit Fightful for the transcription.)
- In an interview with Sportskeeda, Chris Masters reacted to Edge’s win at the Royal Rumble by saying that it's heartbreaking that an audience wasn't there.
"That’s really heartbreaking. You really like to see the fan reactions. Especially when you have the returns. Like when you had Edge last year. When you had somebody returning, and to hear the reaction from the crowd. Wrestling fans, as we both know, are some of the most passionate people about what they love that I’ve ever seen in my life. I know because I was one all the way up until I became a wrestler."
- Torrie Wilson shared an image of all of the women's Royal Rumble participants backstage before the match. Of note, Kacy Catanzaro was pictured even though she did not appear in the match. Similarly, Shotzi Blackheart was not pictured, despite entering the match at number five.
- Speaking with Yahoo, Goldberg, who lost his WWE championship match with Drew McIntyre at the Royal Rumble, spoke about the change in pro wrestling and the reliance on blurred lines.
“I remember when good versus evil was all that you needed,” Goldberg said. “You didn’t need to draw blurry lines with every character. To me, it’s a simple equation. Back in the day, people didn’t care if I grabbed a spinning toe hold or put someone in a submission. They wanted me to eat people alive and that was enough for them.
“I have always been one that works on the adage of less is more. Hogan always taught me that you had to make everything count. You can’t hit a guy 50 times and have him keep standing in front of you.”
- After his comeback at the Royal Rumble, Christian says that he might have one more match in him. Learn more about what that reportedly could mean at this link.
- Les Thatcher has provided a health update after his COVID diagnosis.
I first want to say a huge thank you to everyone that called, sent emails, or sent messages on Facebook. Thank you all so much for caring and checking in on me. So much love & respect to you all.
It has been 31 days since the virus hit me & I have now cleared quarantine, and have my appointments for both the vaccine shots, & I plan on starting back in the gym this week (slowly to start).
Now I need to get back in harness as far as working again and I will be ready to start taking bookings for one day seminars and weekend camps starting in March 2021 and beyond.
WWE stock today closed at $57.58.
- Damian Priest is set to make his Monday Night Raw debut tonight according to Mike Johnson of PWInsider.
- In a history-making moment, R-Truth regained his WWE 24/7 championship for a 50th time when he pinned Peter Rosenberg live on the Yes Network!
- According to a report by Mike Johnson, Savio Vega truly did use the official leather strap that he used in his 1996 match against Steve Austin in his most recent strap match against Richard Holliday. Unfortunately, the strap broke near the end of the match. Reportedly, MLW was happy to use it and felt it brought an extra element of promotion to the match.
- GCW has announced an upcoming show called Take Kare on 3/6.
*New Show Alert!*— GameChangerWrestling (@GCWrestling_) February 1, 2021
GCW returns to The Showboat in Atlantic City on Saturday, March 6th!
Tickets on sale TONIGHT at 8pm:https://t.co/V2DGCaKHRW
This event will stream LIVE on @FiteTV!
Stay tuned for more info! pic.twitter.com/4B4OYJJSeT
- Eva Marie, who has long been reported to have signed to return to WWE and Parker Boudreaux, who has been compared to Brock Lesnar, watch the Royal Rumble together as Eva Marie posted on Instagram.
- Edge will be the next guest on Corey Graves’ podcast WWE After the Bell.
Edge captured the imagination of the WWE Universe last night when he entered at No. 1 and outlasted 29 other Superstars to win the 2021 Men’s Royal Rumble Match – 11 years to the day after he first won the over-the-top-rope melee.
This Thursday, the WWE Hall of Famer sits drops in on WWE After the Bell with Corey Graves and friend of the show Vic Joseph to reflect on his big Royal Rumble Match victory, his return from injury after his incredible battle against Randy Orton in The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever at WWE Backlash, what awaits at WrestleMania 37 and much more.
WWE After the Bell drops every Thursday. Listen and subscribe on Spotify so you’ll never miss an episode!
- Make sure you're subscribed to Fightful’s YouTube.