WWE has released Steve Cutler.
After several years in the NXT system and less than a year on the main roster, Steve Cutler has been released from his WWE contract.
A graduate of the Monster Factory in New Jersey, Cutler was signed to WWE in 2014, just two years after he began training. Cutler spent many years in the NXT system and did not catch a major break until the formation of the Forgotten Sons in 2018.
The Forgotten Sons were a faction of three men, Cutler, Wesley Blake, and Jaxson Ryker. After receiving a championship opportunity in a ladder match at NXT takeover 25, they spent the remainder of their time in NXT competing in smaller matchups before moving to the main roster in 2020. The pairing was moved to SmackDown and seemed poised for big things before they were pulled from television following controversial social media remarks made by Ryker, Fightful Select reported that there was no heat on either Wesley Blake or Steve Cutler for the remarks made by Ryker.
Most recently, Cutler and Blake were paired with Baron Corbin at the end of 2020 as the Knights of the Lone Wolf.
Cutler took to social media to issue the following comment:
Unfortunately, today I was released. It was shocking, to say the least. But, I am excited about the future and all the possibilities in front of me.— Steve Kupryk (@SteveCutlerWWE) February 5, 2021
Thanks for your continued support.
90 days... the countdown begins----
As of this writing, the only statement the WWE has released is a basic statement confirming the release and wishing him well in the future.
WWE has come to terms on the release of Steve Cutler. We wish him all the best in his future endeavors. https://t.co/2a9cjOpR0w— WWE (@WWE) February 5, 2021
IMPACT Wrestling Knockouts Champion Deonna Purrazzo, who is Steve Cutler’s girlfriend, revealed on Twitter that both she and Steve tested positive for COVID-19, but they are doing well now.
.@SteveCutlerWWE & I had tested positive for COVID, the beginning of January. We had no symptoms but took all precautions necessary.— The Virtuosa (@DeonnaPurrazzo) February 5, 2021
Thanks for the well wishes but we are healthy and in good spirits. When one door closes, another opens.
Fightful Select reported more on this topic and the connection it has to the release of Steve Cutler.
Steve Cutler Fired By WWE; Tons Of Details
WWE released longtime performer Steve Cutler today. Cutler had been a part of Knights of the Lone Wolf and the Forgotten Sons over the course of his seven-year run since being hired by WWE.
There was heat on Cutler specifically from Vince McMahon when Cutler was sidelined from WWE TV after contracting COVID-19 in early January. We're told both of the Knights of the Roundtable were active in trying to return to television, which never ended up happening after they disappeared from WWE TV. However, those we've heard from seem to believe this release stems from that situation.
We're told this move came on WWE's behalf, and that Cutler was actually in attendance at the WWE Performance Center as he offered to bump for the "big man" class that has been taking place there. One source we spoke to at the WWE PC said he was a welcome familiar face at the facility and well liked by those there.
When Fightful inquired with the roster about the Forgotten Sons after Chad Lail's controversial tweets, that sentiment was echoed by those we spoke to, saying that Wesley Blake and Steve Cutler were unfairly punished after working for the company for years.
WWE sources that we reached out to indicated the "door was open" on a return down the line.
Subscribe to Fightful Select to support our exclusive and independent coverage of professional wrestling. You'll get access to exclusive news, and dozens of additional podcasts.
Fightful will continue to monitor the story and report all updates as they are made available.