Canelo Alvarez’s reign as the WBA “Regular” super middleweight champion appears to be over, at least according to Eddie Hearn.
The British promoter said in an interview in Monaco that the WBA’s secondary super middleweight title is vacant. The title was held by Alvarez since December 2018 when he defeated Rocky Fielding at Madison Square Garden.
Hearn mentioned the title being vacant when he was asked about the status of a potential rematch between WBA “Super” champion Callum Smith and John Ryder. The two fought on November 23 with Smith coming out on top with a controversial unanimous decision win.
Ryder previously held the interim title and now the WBA is left with just one “world” titleholder at 168 pounds with Smith. Hearn said it could be possible for Ryder to fight WBA Gold champion Lennox Allen where the winner would be the mandatory challenger to Smith’s title, hopefully leading to a rematch.
Alvarez has yet to fight at super middleweight ever since he defeated Fielding last year. Alvarez returned to middleweight to beat Daniel Jacobs and win the IBF title in May, followed by a knockout win over Sergey Kovalev earlier in November to capture the WBO light heavyweight title. The Mexican superstar, whose next fight is far from confirmed, also holds the WBA “Super” middleweight title.
In the midst of a lengthy deal to fight exclusively on DAZN, Alvarez has several potential suitors for his next fight. Among them are Smith, WBO super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders, WBO middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade, WBA “Super” light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol and more.
You can check out Hearn's comments in the video at the top of the page.