UFC President Dana White says Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier II is nearly a done deal, but it likely will not meet McGregor's demands.
White spoke with the media on Friday ahead of UFC Fight Island 6: Ortega vs. Korean Zombie. The UFC boss said McGregor's return to MMA is a matter of putting pen to paper. McGregor and Poirier both agreed to a January 23 date; however, the former insisted the card take place in front of fans at AT&T Stadium.
#UFC confirms the rematch between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier on January 23:— MMAFighting.com (@MMAFighting) October 16, 2020
"It's just a matter of getting contracts signed"
Watch full video: https://t.co/6Q3XSKrltX pic.twitter.com/bqCJXBNal9
"He said yes and Dustin said yes, so now it's a matter of getting contracts signed," White told the press. "I'm not going into any arena where we're going to fill a quarter of the arena or half the arena or any of that stuff. When crowds are ready to come back, we'll do crowds again."
McGregor and Poirier previously met as featherweights at UFC 178 on September 27, 2014. McGregor won the fight in easy fashion via TKO at 1:46 of round one.