Kal Yafai Ordered To Defend WBA Super Flyweight Belt Against Norbelto Jimenez

WBA super flyweight champion Kal Yafai may have his next opponent set per an order from the governing body.

Yafai has been ordered to negotiate a deal with No. 1 contender Norbelto Jimenez with a purse bid set for March 12 if the two sides aren't able to come to terms. Should the two sides have to go to a purse bid, the minimum bid is $80,000 and the winning bid will be split as follows: 75 percent for Yafai and the remaining 25 percent for Jimenez.

Dan Hardy Has Submitted UFC Request To Fight Matt Brown

The British champion has held the WBA title since 2016 when he defeated Luis Concepcion. Since then, Yafai has made four title defenses with his most recent one taking place last November on a Matchroom Boxing card in Monte Carlo.

While Yafai and Jimenez are likely to fight in the near future, the WBA is currently set to crown a new mandatory challenger for its super flyweight champion. On March 22, Andrew Moloney will take on Miguel Gonzalez on a boxing card in Chile in a WBA title eliminator. Moloney recently spoke to Fightful on a potential fight against Yafai provided that he defeats Gonzalez which can be read at this link. 

The rest of the super flyweight division is also busy for the next few months as well. WBC champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai is defending his title against Juan Francisco Estrada on April 26 while WBO champion Donnie Nietes has a purse bid for a title defense against Aston Palicte set for February 28.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web