Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not fight Conor McGregor. And the boxing icon thinks the world should move on from that potential fight.
"I tried to make the fight happen between me and Conor McGregor," Mayweather said. "We wasn’t able to make the fight happen, so we must move on."
Earlier this year, buzz started to build about the cross sport fight. There were reports of the boxer offering McGregor $50 million for the fight, with the fight proposed to happen on New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas. While MMA and boxing fans might be upset about the situation, Mayweather has a different spin on it.
“It’s so crazy that you got so many other fighters that’s in boxing that want to fight Conor McGregor. But I was the first,” Mayweather said. “I feel honored to be the biggest name in MMA and in boxing and I don’t even compete no more. That’s the great thing about my career.”
The former boxer is no longer an active fighter and the McGregor fight would have seen him come out of retirement. He finished his professional boxing career at 49-0, with 26 wins coming via knockout. Mayweather last fought on Sept. 12, 2015, against Andre Berto and won that fight by unanimous decision. He fought Manny Pacquiao the same year, in a fight that many in the boxing world had wanted to see for years. Mayweather won that fight, but controversy followed the finish as Pacquiao claimed to have been injured in his training leading up to the landmark fight.