Oscar De La Hoya: "The Canelo Train Has Left The Station" For GGG Rematch

The middleweight rematch between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin is no longer happening next September according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya.

De La Hoya spoke with ESPN and said "the Canelo train has left the station" in regards to successfully negotiating a rematch against Golovkin. This follows a string of recent comments from both sides saying Golovkin wants a 50-50 split for the fight and that Alvarez's side has refused Golovkin's purse split demands.

Khabib Nurmagomedov Helps 50 People Suffering From Drug Addiction

With Alvarez seemingly no longer fighting Golovkin in his planned September 15 return to the ring, De La Hoya said he is now negotiating with Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn over a potential middleweight bout between Alvarez and former WBA middleweight world champion Daniel Jacobs. Jacobs was one of several names mentioned recently to be in the running to be Alvarez's opponent in case negotiations with Golovkin fell through.

The fight, a rematch from their September 2017 megafight that ended in a split draw, was originally scheduled to take place on May 5 in Las Vegas. Alvarez tested positive for clenbuterol in February which prompted Alvarez to withdraw from the fight in April before the Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended Alvarez. That suspension will end on August 17, six months after the date of the first positive test for clenbuterol.

Jacobs signed with Hearn's Matchroom Boxing USA last year with the hope he gets to fight either Alvarez or Golovkin. Jacobs is coming off a win over Maciej Sulecki in April with Jacobs becoming the mandatory challenger to Golovkin's WBA "super" middleweight title.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web