Ottman Azaitar won't be released from the UFC after all.
UFC President Dana White announced Azaitar's release after he and his teammates allegedly broke protocol on UFC Fight Island, turning the island into their own version of Uncharted or Tomb Raider. White previously said that Azaitar and his team helped sneak someone into the Fight Island bubble, who proceeded to jump from rooftop-to-rooftop before making an escape.
On Saturday, the UFC boss told ESPN that he was giving Azaitar a "second chance." The promotion subsequently confirmed to MMA Fighting that Azaitar was still under contract.
The UFC has elected NOT to release Ottman Azaitar from its roster, following last month's odd circumstances at Fight Island in which Dana White said Azaitar broke Covid-19 protocol. No further details at this time. Azaitar has not commented publicly. https://t.co/Q15acHbcPP— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) February 20, 2021
Azaitar's manager Ali Abdelaziz told ESPN the entire situation was a "misunderstanding," and that was "grateful to the UFC."
Azaitar (13-0) was scheduled to fight Matt Frevola (8-2-1) before the fight was scrapped from UFC 257: Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor.