Conor McGregor has been named as the defendant in a multi-million dollar personal injury lawsuit, back in his home country of Ireland, in advance of his return to the Octagon at UFC 257 on Saturday.
Dave Coleman, the lawyer for the plaintiff, told ESPN the alleged incident took place in 2018, and Coleman noted that the woman's mother has also filed a smaller suit related to the incident. Beyond that, he refused to comment on issues that were before the court.
"The matter is before the court," Coleman said.
The incident had previously been the subject of an investigation by the An Garda Síochána, the national police service of the Republic of Ireland, however, no charges were filed against McGregor, and he has denied any wrongdoing. The news was original reportedly by The Independent.
"After an exhaustive investigation conducted by the Gardaí which, in addition to interviews of the plaintiff, included interviewing numerous sources, obtaining witnesses' statements, examining closed circuit footage and the cooperation of Conor McGregor, these allegations were categorically rejected," McGregor spokesperson Karen Kessler said in a statement. "The plaintiff knows the facts contradict the assertions in this lawsuit. Mr. McGregor will dispute any claims and is confident that justice will prevail."
McGregor's list of run-ins with the law include two sexual assault investigations that were reported by the New York Times in 2019, as well as being arrested over the dolly throwing incident prior to UFC 223 in 2018
McGregor competes Saturday in the main event of UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi, in a rematch against Dustin Poirier. Keep up with Fightful for all your fight night coverage.