Report: NSAC Approves Gennady Golovkin Venue Change, No New Opponent For May 5 Announced

Unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin has his fight set for May 5, but still does not have an opponent.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has approved of Golovkin's request to host a boxing event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 5, after his fight against Canelo Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena was canceled.

Valentina Shevchenko vs. Lauren Murphy Set For UFC 266, More Fights Announced | Fight Announcement Roundup

Although Golovkin has a venue, the matter of who he will face remains a mystery. Initial reports had Golovkin face off against undefeated Mexican prospect Jaime Munguia, but the commission denied Golovkin's request to face off against Munguia on May 5. As for who could face off against Golovkin, it's being reported that middleweight contender Gary "Spike" O'Sullivan is now the favorite to land the fight against Golovkin.

There are still a number of boxers who have offered themselves as potential opponents, but have either bowed out or announced that they were not being considered as the middleweight champion's opponent. Unbeaten middleweight Demetrius Andrade is one such fighter who said he won't be fighting Golovkin. Andrade said on Twitter that his team was informed he won't be fighting on May 5.

Golovkin was previously scheduled to fight Alvarez on May 5, but Alvarez recently withdrew from the fight after testing positive twice for traces of clenbuterol back in February. Alvarez is currently temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission with the commission ruling on the length of Alvarez's suspension on April 18. Alvarez is potentially looking at a one-year suspension, but the suspension could be reduced by as much as six-months.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web