Several weeks back, three world champions at 154 pounds signed separate deals to defend their respective titles. Now those three world champions will defend their titles on the same boxing card in New York.
Days after it was announced that IBF junior middleweight champion Jarrett Hurd and challenger Austin Trout would be headlining a Barclays Center card, fellow world champions Erislandy Lara (WBA champion) and Jermell Charlo (WBC champion) have been announced that they would be fighting on that same card. The Barclays Center card, set to take place on October 14, will be broadcasted on Showtime.
Lara and Charlo will be defending their WBA and WBC titles against Terrell Gausha and Erickson Lubin, respectively.
With the announcement that FOX will have a world championship doubleheader card from California that leads in straight to the Showtime card in Brooklyn, New York, boxing fans will get a chance to see an unprecedented five world championship boxing fights back to back without any interruption. Below is the current boxing television schedule for the evening of October 14.
PBC on FOX card (FOX, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- Abner Mares (c) vs. Andres Gutierrez: WBA "regular" featherweight title bout
- Leo Santa Cruz (c) vs. Chris Avalos: WBA "super" featherweight title bout
Showtime Championship Boxing Card (Showtime, 10 p.m. ET):
- Erislandy Lara (c) vs. Terrell Gausha: WBA junior middleweight title
- Jermell Charlo (c) vs. Erickson Lubin: WBC junior middleweight title bout
- Jarrett Hurd (c) vs. Austin Trout: IBF junior middleweight title bout
The October 14 card would mark the fifth boxing card being done at the Barclays Center, Showtime’s unofficial New York boxing home.