Tom Loeffler: Golovkin Wants 50-50 Split For Canelo Rematch

Talks between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin have soured in the past few weeks as the rematch is in danger of not happening over disagreements on purse splits.

The fight between Alvarez and Golovkin has been going through a rough patch as Golovkin now demands a 50-50 split, according to promoter Tom Loeffler. Loeffler talked with the Press Enquire about the status of the fight and the likelihood a rematch does happen.

Sean Ross Stats For UFC 263

According to the promoter, the rematch, originally planned for this past May 5 until Alvarez withdrew from the fight, had Alvarez receiving 65 percent of the purse and Golovkin getting the remaining 35 percent. Golovkin's demands of an even purse split comes after Alvarez tested positive for traces of clenbuterol in February which caused the rematch to fall through.

“All Gennady came back with is that, ‘I just want a fair split, I want a 50-50 split. I’m the champion,’” Loeffler said. “We made a lot of concessions for the first fight, was a very low percentage for Gennady. We made a lot of concessions for the rematch after Gennady proved his value.

Loeffler said the first fight between the two boxers, which took place last September and ended in a split draw, resulted in about a 70-30 split in favor of Alvarez. The Mexican star netted an approximate $50 million payday while Golovkin only got about $20 million, according to the promoter.

Although it seems the rematch is looking like it will not happen next September, the month Golden Boy Promotions is targeting for Alvarez's next fight, both Loeffler and Golden Boy Promotions President Eric Gomez said the fight can still be salvaged. Oscar De La Hoya recently said he and the company will look towards other options for a fight including WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders and Daniel Jacobs.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web