AJ Styles looked to be TNA until the end. But the two companies went through a divorce in 2013 that left a bitter taste in Styles' mouth.
In a recently released video by Title Match Wrestling, Styles was asked about leaving TNA and rumors that the company had asked him to take a significant, up to 60 percent, pay cut.
"I think saying 60 percent is being generous, to be honest with you," said Styles. "It's kind of crazy when that's the first offer. Like, 'Wait, what? That doesn't make any sense. I've worked here for 11 years. And hard for 11 years. I haven't gotten less popular. I've been more popular, especially the last year. This doesn't make much sense to me.'"
The interviewer wondered if TNA was trying to recoup money they may have lost when they brought in Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, and other past stars in an effort to start a new Monday Night War.
"Somewhere, they wasted a lot of money. The guys under contract, the guys who busted their butt, are the ones who have to pay the price. And that doesn't make any sense," he said. "It's not fair to them. They're the ones who put their bodies on the line and took up for TNA. To punish them for your mistakes. It's terrible."
Even though Styles was adamant that he wasn't going to take a pay cut, especially one of such significance, it doesn't mean Styles was ready to leave the company. Styles commented, "I didn't say that I wouldn't make the same thing I was making. If they would have offered me that, I would have taken it. That's not even close to what they came to me with."
Things worked out fine for Styles, who found massive success in New Japan before signing with WWE in 2016. Styles is currently the WWE Champion and one of the major focal points on SmackDown.
You can listen to the full clip below.