Alexa Bliss and Natalya defend WWE's decision to go to Saudi Arabia.
When WWE went to Saudi Arabia in April, the company faced backlash for going to a country where women were not allowed to perform. WWE accidentally ran a video package featuring women, which the Saudi Sports Authority had to apologize for. WWE will return to Saudi Arabia on Nov. 2, less than a week after they champion WWE Evolution as the first-ever all-women's pay-per-view.
Speaking to The Tampa Bay Times, Bliss and Natalya Neidhart discussed WWE's decision to go back to Saudi Arabia and how they hope change will eventually come.
"You're not going to change a culture overnight. I think WWE is taking such positive steps in doing positive things over in Saudi Arabia," said Natalya. "One day, I believe that we will be over there."
Prior to Thursday's announcement that WWE would keep Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia, the unofficial company line was that "if you want to change a country like Saudi Arabia, you go to Saudi Arabia." John Bradshaw Layfield, Randy Orton, and Kevin Nash were among the wrestlers who believed WWE should go to Saudi Arabia for that reason. Layfield pointed out that WWE helped bring change to the United Arab Emirates last December when Alexa Bliss and Sasha Banks were allowed to wrestle each other at a live event. The bout marked the first time women were allowed to wrestle in the United Arab Emirates.
When asked about women wrestling in Saudi Arabia, Bliss said, "I don't feel like it's out of reach. Who knows? I don't think it's ever not a possibility."
Bliss and Natalya are scheduled to take part in this Sunday's WWE Evolution event. Bliss' status has come into question in the last week as she reportedly suffered a concussion at a WWE live event. She was not on Raw to promote Sunday's bout, where she will team with Mickie James to take on Trish Stratus and Lita. As of now, she is expected to compete at the event.