The G1 Climax is starting next month.
NJPW announced the full schedule of dates and venues for the annual tournament, set to determine who will challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight Title at next year's Wrestle Kingdom show. The tournament will begin on September 18 in Osaka, Japan and end on October 18 in Tokyo.
Below are the full schedule and tour stops:
- Saturday, September 18・Osaka・Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium (EDION Arena Osaka)
- Sunday, September 19・Osaka・Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium (EDION Arena Osaka)
- Wednesday, September 23・Hokkaido・Hokkai Kita Yell
- Thursday, September 24・Hokkaido・Hokkai Kita Yell
- Sunday, September 27・Hyogo・Kobe World Hall
- Tuesday, September 29・Tokyo・Korakuen Hall
- Wednesday, September 30・Tokyo・Korakuen Hall
- Thursday, October 1・Niigata・Aore Nagaoka
- Monday, October 5・Tagawa・Takamatsu City Gymnasium
- Tuesday, October 6・Hiroshima・Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall
- Wednesday, October 7・Hiroshima・Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall
- Thursday, October 8・Okayama・ZIP Arena Okayama
- Saturday, October 1o・Osaka・Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium (EDION Arena Osaka)
- Sunday, October 11・Aichi・Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium (Dolphins Arena)
- Tuesday, October 13・Shizuoka・Hamamatsu Arena
- Wednesday, October 14・Kanagawa・Yokohama Budokan
- Friday, October 16・Tokyo・Ryogoku Sumo Hall
- Saturday, October 17・Tokyo・Ryogoku Sumo Hall
- Sunday, October 18・Tokyo・Ryogoku Sumo Hall
The tournament format usually follows a two-group format in the first round where the wrestlers in each group face each other in a round-robin format. The one with the most points in each group by the end face each other in the G1 Climax finals. Last year's winner, Kota Ibushi, failed to win a single match in this year's Double Gold Dash for the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental titles.
There's no word on if the winner of the G1 Climax will challenge for just the heavyweight title or will challenge for both belts currently being held by EVIL.