Heavy Metal Wrestling and New Texas Pro Wrestling have joined forces for a special tournament.
Both promotions announced the Texas Grand Prix Tournament, a 14-person, 85-match tournament that is expected to take place in the fourth quarter of 2020. The tournament will see the competitors, which have yet to be announced, be split into two blocks, named after the Von Erich and Funk wrestling families. The winner of the tournament will receive a prize yet to be revealed.
Below are the rules of the tournament:
- 14 competitors
- 2 blocks (Von Erich & Funk)
- Round robin style tournament
- Winner of each block will face off in the finals
- Winner of the tournament will receive a prize to be announced later
- Recorded for streaming (no fans)
Japan has the G1. Now Texas has the Grand Prix. Coming in the 4Q of 2020. pic.twitter.com/3udXLiPq8N— New Texas Pro Wrestling (@NewTexasPW) August 4, 2020
Per Cagematch, neither promotion has yet to run events ever since the current global pandemic shut down most wrestling companies for months.