Hiroshi Tanahashi will face his former Tag Team Championship partner in Kota Ibushi for the IWGP United States Championship on September 4.
Recently, Hiroshi Tanahashi captured the IWGP United States Championship from Lance Archer at Resurgence on August 14. While Tanahashi is hoping that his Title reign will help further open The Forbidden Door, he first has to make it through Kota Ibushi on September 4 in MetLife Dome:
A massive title match has been made official for Wrestle Grand Slam in MetLife Dome on September 4!
First, the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship will be on the line on September 4, as Hiroshi Tanahashi defends against the returning Kota Ibushi. This match was made official after an exchange of video message from both men earlier today. Tanahashi called out Ibushi from California, where he won US gold against Lance Archer at Resurgence, issuing a challenge that Ibushi was quick to accept. After his Tokyo Dome challenge to Shingo Takagi in July was taken away by illness, the Golden Star will be more motivated than ever to put in a grand slam performance, and to lift the only singles championship that has eluded him in his NJPW career.
Here is the current lineup for both nights of Wrestle Grand Slam
NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam - September 4
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Jeff Cob
- KOPW 2021: Chase Owens vs. Toru Yano
- IWGP US Heavyweight Championship: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kota Ibushi
NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam - September 5
- IWGP World Heavyweight Championship: Shingo Takagi (c) vs. EVIL
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championships: Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr & Taichi) (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito & SANADA vs. YOSHI-HASHI & Hirooki Goto
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Robbie Eagles (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
Fightful will have coverage of both nights of Wrestle Grand Slam. You can find results from past NJPW events at Fightful's results section.