Two challengers for the price of one.
New Japan Pro-Wrestling announced that IWGP Women's Champion Mercedes Mone will defend her title against Hazuki and AZM in a triple threat bout at NJPW Sakura Genesis on April 8.
Since winning the IWGP Women’s Championship at Battle in the Valley, Mercedes Moné has been hitting red carpets and conventions in VIP style with the title, but has yet to make her first defence. Meanwhile, with the door open to challengers from around the world, two have stepped up from STARDOM.
First, High Speed Champion and young superstar of Queen’s Quest AZM would take to the microphone at a press conference recently to state that since Mercedes had mentioned her name as a prospective opponent, she’d be happy to step up. Later, the Wild Heart of STARS, Hazuki threw her hat into the ring as she proposed a three way match- even Mayu Iwatani said she would take on the winner April 23 at STARDOM’s Yokohama Arena event.
In a message released on social media today, Mercedes would issue her response. saying that ‘double the challenge means double the Moné’ the CEO took on the three way at Sakura Genesis April 8. Can Hazuki capture IWGP gold? Will AZM (that’s ‘A Zu Mi’), disrespected by Mercedes’ backhanded praise, make this title spectacular something more personal? Find out live in English on NJPW World!
Here is the current lineup for NJPW Sakura Genesis:
NJPW Sakura Genesis (4/8)
- IWGP World Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. SANADA
- IWGP Women's Championship: Mercedes Mone (c) vs. AZM vs. Hazuki
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Robbie Eagles
- IWGP Tag Team Championship: Bishamon (YOSHI-HASHI & Hirooki Goto) (c) vs. Aussie Open (Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher)
- New Japan World Television Championship: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Shota Umino
- David Finlay, KENTA, & El Phantasmo vs. Tama Tonga, Hikuleo & Master Wato
Fightful will have coverage of NJPW Sakura Genesis on April 8.