Tommaso Ciampa: They Told Me If I Return Then I Will Be On Borrowed Time

Tommaso Ciampa releases a statement on his future.

This Friday at NXT TakeOver: New York should have been the biggest moment in Tommaso Ciampa's career. He was set to defend the NXT Title against Johnny Gargano in arguably the biggest match in NXT history. However, a neck injury forced Ciampa out of the match and onto the sideline for the foreseeable future.

Rey Mysterio Says John Cena's Return Is Good For Morale, Talks Cena Coaching Dominik

Ciampa took to social media to reflect on what should have been and what's possible to come.

"In May of 2017 they told me that no one has ever had 3 major surgeries in a 12 week span and returned at a competitive level.

I returned to the most successful run of my career.

This week I should be preparing to walk into the main event of Takeover New York on Wrestlemania weekend as the NXT Champion. This match meant more to me than anyone will ever understand.

The opportunity was taken away from me.

In March of 2019 they told me that if I return then I will be on borrowed time.

To be continued..."

Last week, NXT founder Triple H detailed the decision to have Ciampa undergo surgery, revealing that WWE knew about the injury but all parties hoped he could work through it.

There is no timetable for Ciampa's return.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web