WWE Crown Jewel To Stay In Saudi Arabia; Vince McMahon Comments

WWE Crown Jewel is not moving locations.

On Thursday, WWE will hold their third quarter financials conference call. In a press release announcing their financial results, WWE officially confirmed that Crown Jewel will be staying in Saudi Arabia.

WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has developed a sizable and dedicated fan base. Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very difficult decision as it relates to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh. Similar to other U.S.-based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event. Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the Riyadh event as scheduled.

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks for the company as they've faced pressure from fans, Senators, and reportedly even wrestlers to move the event in light of allegations that the Saudi government had a part in killing journalist Jamal Khashoggi. It was reported earlier this week by Robbie Fox of Barstool Sports that John Cena and Daniel Bryan were both "refusing" to go to the event. As of now, both are still scheduled and advertised to compete at Crown Jewel. WWE was also reportedly scouting possible locations to move the event to.

During WWE's third quarter financial call, Vince McMahon was asked about the decision to keep the show in Saudi Arabia. Vince said, "We’re not going to talk a lot about that it’s a very sensitive subject. I think our statement says all we’re going to say about that today.”

WWE Crown Jewel is scheduled for Nov. 2.

More