Your fight-size boxing update:
- Below are the official scorecards at the time of Gennadiy Golovkin's fourth-round knockout win over Steve Rolls at Madison Square Garden. Fightful had Golovkin 29-28 after three rounds on its live coverage page, which can be seen at this link.
- As for the other big boxing card taking place on the evening of June 8, Oscar Valdez retained his WBO featherweight title against Jason Sanchez in the main event of an ESPN card from Reno, Nevada. Below are the official scorecards for that fight, which saw Valdez retain his title by unanimous decision.
Valdez-Sanchez cards pic.twitter.com/8Vgvz7xRMj— Evan Korn (@KornerMan44) June 9, 2019
- The WBA has announced in a letter to undisputed lightweight champion Katie Taylor that she has been recognized as an ambassador for the governing body. Taylor became the undisputed champion with a majority decision win over Delfine Persoon on June 1.
- After Israil Madrimov picked up his third pro win on the undercard of Golovkin vs. Rolls, he spoke with DAZN and was asked about wanting a world title shot and here is what he said.
“I was ready for the title shot. I was asking for it in my professional debut. I’ve been working on it. I asked after my first fight, my second fight, my third fight, I’m going to keep asking, and my promoter knows what to do. As soon as my promoter gives me the chances, I’m ready for the fight.”
- Cruiserweight contender Kevin Lerena recently defended his IBO title with a 12-round unanimous decision win over Vasil Ducar in the main event of a boxing card from Gauteng, South Africa on June 8. Lerena has held the IBO belt since 2017 and has now made four successful title defenses.