Here's your fight-size boxing update for October 1, 2019:
- A behind-the-scenes look at Errol Spence Jr. and Shawn Porter before their recent welterweight title unification can be seen in the video at the top of the page.
- Matchroom Boxing won a purse bid for the WBA “Regular” welterweight title fight between Alexander Besputin and Radzhab Butaev with a winning bid of $505,555 (each fighter gets 50 percent of the winning bid). The fight will take place on the November 30 Matchroom Boxing show in Monaco.
- Here is the line-up for the Golden Contract featherweight tournament quarterfinals starting on October 4 (to be streamed on ESPN+ in the United States):
- Leigh Wood vs. David Oliver Joyce
- Jazza Dickens vs. Carlos Ramos
- Hairon Socarras vs. Ryan Walsh
- Tyrone McCullagh vs. Carlos Araujo
- Below are the official scorecards from all three judges for the WBA "Super" light flyweight title bout between Hiroto Kyoguchi and Tetsuya Hisada. Kyoguchi won the fight and retained the title by unanimous decision.
The scorecards from earlier today pic.twitter.com/CpiIITDBK4— Asian Boxing (@asianboxing) October 1, 2019
- Promoter Don King announced that he has signed top cruiserweight contender Ilunga Makabu to a promotional deal.
- Matchroom Boxing announced the following fighters and fights that will be competing on the undercard for Callum Smith's WBA "Super" super middleweight title defense against John Ryder in Liverpool on November 23:
- David Price vs. TBA
- Craig Glover vs. Chris Billam-Smith
- Tom Farrell vs. Sean Dodd
- Anthony Fowler vs. TBA
- John O'Donnell will face Abass Baraou for the WBC International junior middleweight title on the undercard of the Regis Prograis vs. Josh Taylor WBSS junior welterweight finals on October 26 in London.
- A fight between Lorissa Rivas and Gwendoline O'Neil for the vacant WBC Female heavyweight title was originally supposed to take place on September 28, but due to problems with the promotion, the bout was rescheduled for October 26 at the Saith Park Indoor Arena in Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Josh Kelly has been named the mandatory challenger to the EBU European welterweight title being held by David Avanesyan, who defeated Kerman Ljjarraga in a rematch on September 28 with a first-round TKO.